Saturday, August 23, 2008

Another Quick Story

Keith returned to HK last week to start a new teaching year, but I'm still in North Queendland. Baby Jane is currently remodelling her pool's changing room into a guesthouse and made me the boss of choosing the colour scheme and other decorative features and so I'm bigtime playing with it and having lots of fun.

Gosh, I do so miss pottering and doing artworks and all that magnificent type of fun I don't get to do in HK.

Yes, you will be seeing photos of this winsy little house as a work-in-progress only not now since I don't have access to a photo program and so can't upload into here, so you'll just have to drop by often to see all when they do come up. And you may even get to see it when it's all done too.

In the meantime this will have to be short since typing is causing me considerable pain. I stupidly ulcerated my fingers by showing my mosaic-making apprentice Talei all the sorts of things you must NEVER do while grouting your mosaics. Needless to say, the alkaline in the grouting didn't realise it was simply a demonstration and thus has eaten through the skin anyway and so my hands are currently all truly icky and, yes, quite painful, particularly since Talei thinks it's hilarious and keeps tricking me into doing things like clapping or clicking my fingers, or handing me hot cups of tea in handleless mugs, knowing that I'm currently in Art-Mode - aka "distracted" - and thus keep forgetting that all sorts of things cause me a lot of pain.

I truly am an original type of fool, aren't I!

And you know the worst part? It's knowing that I've got two other mosaics to grout before I'm done.

Mmm, the alkaline eats through surgical gloves so they are out of the question! And gardening gloves don't give you the ability to manipulate the grout. How do other mosaic artists manage this?

Oh, I know. They hand over the task to their apprentice! YES!!! That'll teach her to reign in her frequently cruel sense of humour!

No comments: