Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ruby The Marvelous!

I am making a mad dash, trying to finish the script this week, and am merely dropped by to tell you the latest Ruby the Marvelous story just arrived from Jane.

If you don't already know, Ruby is a rescue dog from the pound that Baby Jane, who runs an Aged Care Facility, suspected was very intelligent and so started training her, mainly to be a pet-companion for the residents at the Home ... but then Ruby began to do amazing things that went far beyond any sort of training.

I've told you Ruby the Marvelous stories before, however I won't find them for you now.  It's that hurrying thing!

Jane writes: "Ruby just put another notch on her collar as to being Most Most Marvelous Dog Alive.

We had a very elderly confused resident vanish from the facility late last night, so the search began. He couldn't be found anywhere, so at 11.30pm we had to get the Police involved. After many fruitless hours searching around in bushland, house yards etc, it looked hopeless and so, on a whim, I went to Peter's place and got Ruby as I thought she may be helpful.

I had no idea how use Ruby as a scent dog so I just did what they do in those Police Procedural films and docos, and got the pillowslip from the old guy's bed and put it to her nose and said "Find!’’ and she was off. She was a little confused at first because she'd never done anything like this before, but I kept doing it every time she came back to me and sure enough it turned out she indeed had the working nose I thought she had, so I let her take me to the jungle and within 15 minutes we found him underneath one of the nearby houses.  Turns out the old guy had crawled under the house and was asleep, so we would never have found him. 

The police were astonished and made such a fuss of Ruby and even gave her a ride home in the police car.  Mmmmmmm, and yes, there were several mentions of the fact the police up here don’t have search and rescue dogs and so always have to bring them up from down south ... but, nonetheless, even if they were projecting a certain future role for her, and I'm not saying they were, and it definitely wouldn't be anything official, that's not something we should be talking about.

 And needless to say, I’m so very proud of her!  And a little bit of me too for my faith in her!"

No comments: