Friday, June 10, 2011

Matthew's Three Peaks Challenge!

As you know, this blog supports the Luang Prabang Orphanage in Laos.  Well, a lovely fellow called Matthew is climbing three mountains in Scotland hoping to raise money for the kiddies. He begins today and is hoping to be finished by Sunday.  

To explain what's happening, here's a note from Matthew himself:

 Matthew in The Lakes District, so 
you have to revisualise him in Laos! 
(Just think of Fiji with tuktuks and 
elephants and lots of monks 
in saffron robes and no eyebrows)


Dear friends,

Some of you may already be well aware that I ventured into Laos last November as part of my travels. Whilst I was there I saw some of the most amazing landscape scenery and sights you could ever wish to see. What is easy to overlook when you are landlocked in Laos is just how poor many of its people are, and as a result the children there have very little in terms of basic needs and an education. The things we all take for granted!

While I was in Luang Prabang, I did a fabulous cooking course (and let me tell you that I've cooked the minced chicken and rice noodle dish to death! It's now my specialty if I'm cooking to impress!)  


After the course, I spent some time talking with the Australian lady, Ruth, who runs it. She told me a little about her time in Laos and of the poverty she had experienced. As a result, she decided to try to do what she could to improve the health and education of the children of Laos in order to provide a better future for the children, their families and the Lao nation. She
and Christine Seabrook set up Lao-Kids to raise money to support Lao children out of poverty. You can read more about their work at www.Lao-Kids.org.

Holding on to fond memories of my trip, and in the spirit of wanting to give something back I’ve decided to use my up and coming National Three Peaks challenge as an opportunity to raise money for Lao-Kids.
These three peaks are Ben Nevis in Scotland, Scafell Pike in England and Snowdon in Wales. The challenge involves scaling and descending each peak (a total of around 3,000 vertical meters) and driving between the locations.  My challenge will run from Saturday 11th June to Sunday 12th June 2011.  See http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/national-three-peaks-challenge/ for more information about the challenge.

I would be extremely grateful if you could sponsor me in my efforts. You can do this by visiting the Lao-Kids web site and making a donation via PayPal.      
Click HERE to be taken to the Lao-Kids web site for making your donation.

Note: 
Please choose “Make a one time donation” and in the special instructions type “Matthew Joule Sponsorship”. Please don't worry if you don’t have a PayPal account, as you can make a donation via your debit or credit card. Every donation will be sent a Thank You Certificate, signed by the Director of the Luang Prabang Government Orphanages and Schools..

Many thanks for your valued support. The challenge itself, commencing on the 11th June, is going to be a tough one, but with the added incentive of your contributions I'm sure it will spur me on!

 
Kind regards,
 
Matthew Joule

ps. Here's a photo of me
walking "Haystacks" in the Lake district last year, to give you an idea of what's going to take place!

  matt-haystacks.JPG
 
        Thank you Matthew, you darlingest sweetheart!  
      

No comments: