Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Santos By Any Other Name!

Still too hot to be in this room, so just a quick one today:

Guess who?

Keith found this rather wonderful Santo in an antique shop in Townsville and immediately bought it as a gift for our friend Lady R. who collects them.  But then he brought it back to our place in Townsville:

"Ewww, get that thing out of here!" said my rather opinionated and seldom charming teenage niece who now lives there.  "I don't mind those stupid Buddhas you have all over the place but having a Christian statue in the house is all pedophile-ish and creepy."

Keith and I exchanged a glance.  "Happy birthday, my love." says hubby as he hands it to me.

Hey, I get it! This Santo is now mine!  It couldn't have been any other way! And I've left it behind in Townsville too.  Get used to it, honeybunny!!!

Anyway, since it was now mine - thank you Keith honey - and NO! Lady R., there's no way you're getting it now - I didn't like not knowing which Saint it was, so both Keith and Richard decided to hunt it down, with quick success.  And you'd never guess who this statue represents?

ST NICHOLAS!!!  

Yup, this is the original Santa Claus!  How far has the image come, la?

I should really direct you to the Wiki-site that has all the biographical information on this real-life fellow, but it's just too too too hot. If you're interested, you can look it up yourself.

But, in the meantime, it must be noted that if this is the way a modern teenager of nominally Christian definition immediately and sincerely views Christian imagery, it shows how LOWLY the Christian Church is considered today, and thus the church genuinely has a LOT of mending and rebuilding to do, doesn't it!!! 

No comments: