Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Kiwi Oscar.

I've only just found out and I must say I am thrilled that New Zealand won the "Best Song" Oscar in 2012.

BUT  just listen to the song that won:



When I first heard it my immediate reaction was "Oh Lordy, they MUST be joking. It sounds like something that Bret from "Flight of the Conchords" would write."

And guess what?  When I said this to Keith two days ago, he gave me a strange look and said "Bret from "Flight of the Conchords" did write it!"

Immediately the song was forgiven and I was doing "Go New Zealand" air punches and happy dances.

But sanity has returned and again I'm thinking "Oh Lordy, what is WRONG with the judges?"

It's a bad song.  In fact, it's a Bret-Song and they are all, by definition, truly dreadful.  I totally adore Bret and Jermaine but in the name of calling a spade a spade Bret-Songs are always undeniably and completely CRAP!

Do you know HBO's "Flight of the Conchords"?  It's a comedy series of outstanding excellence about two Kiwi singer-songwriters, Bret and Jermaine, trying to break into the music scene in America. It shows here in Hong Kong and Keith and I never miss it and not just because Keith is a loyal and patriotic Kiwi but mostly because it's so very funny:



But the central joke is that Bret is an atrocious songwriter and the music they make together as "Flight of the Conchords" can only be described as unbelievably and irretrievably BAD.  Let me find one for you:



Absolutely and undeniably BAD, right?  In fact, it's so very bad you simply can't stop laughing.

Another one?



Three years ago, when I sent these links to Lady R. she wrote back saying "I really don't like this sort of crap. Please don't send me any more."

And now "this sort of crap" has won a Best Song Oscar. Naturally I'm thrilled for Bret and for New Zealand but ...



... Bret-Songs really must be the WORST songs ever written.

I think once again America has shown that it really doesn't understand irony.

So nice when that pays off.

No comments: