Sunday, October 21, 2012

Random Again!

Finally the weather has cooled and I can remain in this room so perhaps I should start blogging again.

Lots of stuff has happened, and since getting back from Fiji I've done a lovely trip up to Shamian Dao in Guangzhou, and I feel most remiss for not writing more often so please forgive.

Anyway, I'll throw it open to the universe to see what I should, or shouldn't, talk about today, thus I'll open my photo program, choose a photo with my eyes shut, and either talk or not talk about it as my interest level dictates:


LOL! That looks like it should be an interesting photo but it isn't.  Those are a few of the Tongan supporters at HK7s in 2010. As you know, Alisi's husband is a Tongan rugby official and so we brought along lots of red stuff and joined the Tongans in the stands to show our support for them, only ... well, you know, their team was so abjectly awful and they were playing so badly we thought it was kinder to simply slink away and leave them to their pain. As you do!

So little to say on this, perhaps another photo is in order?


OK, that's a seriously weird photo, although I really don't have a lot to say about it.  This skull belongs to a person who was found buried in among Emperor Qin-Shi's Terracotta Army.  They say that live humans weren't buried with him and it was only his terracotta replicas who were meant to accompany him into the afterlife, but that isn't so.  They found all these weirdly deformed dead people in there too, and this is one of them.  As you can see, the skull belongs to a man with a very severe harelip and no upper teeth so it's quite astonishing that such a person, over two thousand years ago, managed to grow to adulthood.  There is also an arrowhead still buried behind his right ear so it's clear they killed him and thus he wasn't buried alive.

One more photo?


Ah, another photo that doesn't give us a lot to talk about: it was taken in one of the villages during our visit to the islands in the Mamanuca Group in Fiji earlier this year.  This nice lady is selling goods to tourists to try to raise enough money for pay for her kiddies school fees. We bought those bracelets.

So the universe isn't giving us lots to write about today, so I guess I'm meant to be doing something else instead.


No comments: