Thursday, May 29, 2008

What Kills Us This Week!

Ooops, almost forgot. Despite the date above, it's actually Friday and I still haven't predicted what HK Magazine thinks HKers are panicking about most this week.

Our papers are all still on about earthquakes, only it's now aftershocks, but I'm always getting this wrong so I won't make that my guess.
There's a new killer disease that's already killed three little kindergarten kiddies. It isn't the expected EV71 but something totally new that causes the brain to swell up. I'll have to hunt down the name (EN 21?) but that's my guess for this week.

Nope. Wrong again. Seems this week HKers are most in a panic about sharks. Some killer types have been sighted in the waters around our 260 islands and one was caught in a shark net on HK island itself, so it appears everyone is in a right state about this.

I think that it's because I don't read Chinese newspapers that I'm forever getting this wrong. But I won't let that stop me from trying to guess.

HK Magazine is right: we really do move weekly from crisis to crisis. But do you think it's because we're all ignoring the real crisis; something we can't do anything about; the pitiful air quality being fuelled by coal-burning Mainland factories and funnelled down the Pearl River Delta into HK skies? Sure, we complain to them but they won't listen, and so we ban cigarette smoking instead ... just like that's going to make a difference.

No comments: