Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Letter from 2005

WAN CHAI NEWS ROUND-UP
 
1) The Sample Shops along Johnstone Road are currently 
overflowing with the entire range of J.Lo's Children's
Clothing Collection. Each piece is selling for between 
A$0.30 and A$0.50 and still not selling. 
 
Guess Jennifer Lopez really got it wrong and there is 
absolutely NO market for sexy, sequinned, spangly, 
"I'm a pole-dancing stripper" prostitute-style 
toddler clothing. 
 
2) You know that full-purdah Muslim woman I've told 
you about? The one who must live around here because I 
see her all the time, who wears the black veil to her 
ankles with only her eyes showing and a white polar-
explorer-style puffy-jacket over the top? (There's a 
Fundamentalist Muslim Drop-by Centre in the next street 
so I'm guessing she's the one who runs it.) (I also 
think it's her teenage sons who are training the little 
sino-toddlers in how-to-play soccer down there in 
Southorn Park.) 
 
Well, here's a piece of news about her that will make 
your jaw drop: Yesterday she was walking down Wanchai 
Road, arm-in-arm and deep in conversation with a young 
ponytailed Chinese guy!  Doesn't that just boggle your 
mind?  I mean, what Fundamentalist Islamic Universe 
does she inhabit where she's allowed to do things like 
that? 
 
Oh, yeah, I see how it's possible! Maybe she needs 
glasses and thought he was a woman! 
 
3) Last week, this self-same Purdah-Woman was wearing
a gorgeous Japanese silk print orange and white scarf 
wrapped around her head over the top of her veil. I 
decided that the urge for colour, beauty and adornment 
must be universal and at that moment I decided that I 
really liked her a lot ... 
 
... or maybe that was the beginning of the slippery
slide into the reckless abandonment and degradation 
that had her walking arm-in-arm with a young man who 
was so obviously NOT of her immediate family. 
 

No comments: