Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mosaics for Jackie!


Lately, Jackie and I have been talking mosaics, conversations I've been longing to have for some time.

Apart from a handful of close friends and gardening, the thing I most miss living in HK is doing mosaics and also conversations with other mosaic-kers about doing mosaics.

I'm actually wanting to mosaic so badly, I'm dreaming about projects and have some pretty amazing ideas I really want to get working on.

You can do mosaics here in HK. Chameleon Workshop runs classes but they're only introductory level, however there was a project burning so fiercely in my head - a mirror surrounded by that sunset and bridge from Munch's "The Scream" ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f4/The_Scream.jpg/220px-The_Scream.jpg
 The Scream!

... and I wanted to act on it so badly, I signed up, really just to use their equipment.

MISTAKE!!!  "What are you doing?" said Elly, genuinely shocked.

 "Isn't it obvious?"

"You're meant to be making the one in the plans in front of you."

"No, I want to make this one." I told her ... and after that she kinda hated me A LOT!

I haven't been back since!

So here I am, thinking about a project I desperately want to do, and thus trying to find another place to do it.

Our apartment is far too small, but lately our roof has come into focus - thanks to Andrew, Pete and that photo shoot - and there's so much space up there, I'm wondering ...

Anyway, that's been my mission lately, trying to find someplace that stocks mosaic tiles and equipment.  It's been fun, prowling around the other end of Lockhart Road, among the interior design shops and suppliers and discovering that HK goes more for bling-bling and shiny while I vastly prefer matt.

But what's been most funny is that I've been getting very strange looks indeed. "You want to do this YOURSELF?" is the usual response.  It's like it's unthinkable to anyone here that you wouldn't hire someone to do it for you.

But Yo Yo at "Glamour" (160 Lockhart Road) was just gorgeous.  She actually got it. "Like an artist!" she said.  Nonetheless she steered me towards the designs they get made up for you, and some of them are just so amazing I so want them.  Let me show you a few:




Don't they just make you ache. Especially for those Arabic-style "floor mats".

Anyway, even though "Glamour" may not really understand the urge to personally create an object, they certainly know their mosaics ... and haven't these images got your creative juices flowing.

And that roof up there is certainly looking good at the moment.  It's just a pity that I get these urges in the summertime!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread3125.html

http://www.tradeeasy.com/manufacturers/builders-hardware_materials/mosaic-tiles.html

http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/hk_company_directory.htm?companyid=1X029EXX&locale=en

http://www.artland.com.hk/Artland_eng/Artland_Eng/Products.html

(Slowwwwww Website.)

VicB3