Sunday, July 13, 2008

China Travel Tip! #2

Discovered absolutely the best line for getting away from Shenzhen Sharks (who are indeed, these days, spread much further afield since China began the Silly Bugger Games with issuing visas.)

What you say, when you're approached, is "Thank you. No. I have a driver."

Isn't it cool! Simple, effective, elegant and, boy, doesn't it send them running. And then they tell each other and everyone stays away from you. In fact, they part to form a path as you pass them by and that always makes you feel very special.

Entrance to Guangzhou East Railway Station.
No sharks anywhere.
(Actually, they're all at the other entrance)

How I discovered it was that I heard an American woman say it and saw the Sharks scatter and was so impressed I used it myself and they scattered for me too, so I haven't stopped using it since.

I think it frightens them because it means you're locally connected, which, at least, means you're in with someone who knows their tricks, and, at most, you're linked in somehow with Big Big Fish who know how to get their legs broken!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In America, you'd have to say "Thank you. No. I have a large gun."