Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Roots Story

Today, I'll tell you a story that happened nearly eight years ago that left me slack-jawed with disbelief. I hope you have the same reaction:

I was back in Fiji, in Nadi, on a Girls Night Out at a Mexican Restaurant, catching up with all sorts of old high-school friends. Fabulous night; all nachos and margaritas and getting louder, younger and more raucous by the jug.

However, sitting in a corner table, looking very lost and alone, was a young white Australian girl; very pretty, a Natalie Imbruglia lookalike, with high cheekbones, full lips, strong jaw, greeny-blue eyes and long, wavy, auburn hair. Helene (not her real name!), on her fifth drink, calls out "Hey, you! In the corner! Don't sit there by yourself. Come and join us!"

So she did. Said her name was ... mmm, let's make one up ... Lesley Westerley, and that she had just arrived in Fiji that afternoon.

"And so? What are you doing in Fiji, so lost and alone?" everyone, drunkenly slurring, wanted to know.

"I'm not sure. I think I could be looking for my roots."

"Why would you be looking for your roots in Fiji?"

"I'm not sure." she said, face all grim and serious. "My grandmother is currently doing our family tree and discovered that her late husband, my grandfather, wasn't really called Larry. His name was really Lala! It was such a strange name, it had her stumped. Then someone told her that Lala is a common name for men in Fiji, so she's sent me here to find out what I can?"

Colleen, particularly drunk, leans forwards and stares closely at her face. "Yes, you have Fijian roots. I can see it in your lips and jaw." and then she stares some more. "I can also see Samoan, Chinese, Irish, Scottish and English. With that combination, you can only be a McMahon! Let me check!"

She pulls out her phone, dials, and "Aunty Gracie, do you know anyone by the name of Westerley?" Long silence, then "Right! What time are you having lunch tomorrow? ... OK, set two more places. I'm coming and bringing you a surprise."

She then hung up and says "You're having lunch tomorrow with your Great Great Grandmother." Everyone cheered drunkenly and it was all "OK, problem solved. Roots are found! Waitress, dua talei jug of margaritas here, yalo vinaka!"

Quite, quite astonishing, huh! If only all of life was that simple!

No comments: