Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bao Mo Gardens, Guangzhou, China

I cannot tell you a thing about Bao Mo Gardens. It was #1 on my list of things I wanted to do in Guangzhou this visit but I was outright forbidden to go!

See, what happened was that, when I was asked by my co-workers what I wanted to see while in their city, I told them "#1 on my list is Bao Mo Gardens!"

They all looked at each other and "There is no such place!" I was told.

"Yes. These are very famous gardens in Panyu District."

They all looked at each other and "That's very far away. Maybe 170 yuan by taxi. Too much. Not worth it!" I was told.

"But these gardens have been listed as in the Top 100 Gardens of China for nearly 600 years. AND in 2007, China put it on the List of 100 Greatest Treasures of China!"

They all looked at each other and "You must not go. You are forbidden to go!" I was told.

Mary gently took me aside. "We are all filled with shame ..." she said "... that you are a stranger to our city and yet you are the first to tell us we have such a Treasure right here. This is why we say you are forbidden. You must not see this Treasure until we have seen it for ourselves or we shall be completely shamed!"

Well, I'm back in Guangzhou in a month and so I kindly conceded them that time ... however, my very next visit I am sooo going to Bao Mo Gardens.

So you too will have to wait to hear all about it. Next month. I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a Guangzhou native, but has moved overseas for awhile. I just want to let you know that garden descriptions in your blog may be from some unreliable source to get you to the Garden. The Original Garden was built probably about a little over 100 years. The current garden was built in the mid-90s. I think the scene was briefly shown on an episode of Lonely Planet.

Panyu wasn't part of Guangzhou until the 90s and it wasn't connected to the city by subway until last year. This is probably the reason your friends do not know about the garden. And to be honest (and just a person opinion), the garden is worth it, but that won't make it on my top 10 list of Guangzhou.

Denise said...

Mmm, thank you so much for this. According to my source, this garden was built by the man who invented that amazing Chinese technique of ink painting (lingham?) 600 years ago, but, as you say, it may not be reliable. Maybe written as advertising, as you say.

OK, I trust your judgement ... and I will definitely go to see it on my next visit, but what would be your first choices of things to do in Guangzhou?

Oh dear! I must say I am filled with shame that someone from Guangzhou has read what I think of the city. Mind you, I think it is very beautiful ... and it's just very frustrating for a foreigner because ... well, you probably can guess why!