Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What Kills Us this Week!

HK is a city of Panic Merchants and, in each issue, HK Magazine chooses The Crisis that has caused the city the most angst for the week. I try to guess what it'll be. I never get it right, usually because HK is forever being spoiled for choice in what to panic about!

Because of all the white biohazard suits and mass slaughter all around, I was going to say Bird Flu, but I've got a much, much better one:

8 8 8 8

Several people have told me this in the past few days. Did you know that the Olympics in Beijing begin at 8am on the 8th of August 2008? This was chosen because 8 is China's lucky number. However, in a series like this ... and get this ... it reads as "baat! baat! baat! baat!" which is the sound of a dog barking!

And why do dogs bark? My answer was "Intruders?" (actually, I quite like that: Olympics=Intruders) but I'm told "No! Dogs bark to warn of a disaster! Something very bad is going to happen!"

Do you love it? I tell you, HKers can Total-Angst-Panic over anything!


For me personally, I'm in a Total-Angst-Panic of my own! Am off to China for the weekend. Guangzhou! Hopefully! I don't yet know if I have a visa. And I have to go for a work-thing! Applied early last week and I don't find out if I get one until the day before I'm supposed to be there! It's mega-stressful since there won't be enough time for the people at the other end to make alternative arrangements if I don't get one. Horrible situation.

You know, don't you, that China is getting revenge for the Olympic Torch upsets by screwing over foreigners wanting to go to the Mainland. They aren't issuing many visas and make it the most unpleasant experience imaginable even when they do end up issuing one.

And did you know that you're not allowed to go in just for the day? This means that there simply aren't any tourists up in China and, since Shenzhen relies on day-trippers for all it's trade, I believe they are now desperate ... and it seems the Shenzhen Sharks have spread their net farther afield and there's all sorts of escalating violence against tourists! As far afield as Guangzhou, I've heard. Mmmm, and I'm going to be in the middle of it all! Hopefully! If I get a visa that is!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DENISE!!!!

THIS IS VICTOR BENSTEAD.

YEAH, THAT VICTOR.

WHERE. HAVE. YOU. BEEN???????

Had this great correspondence with you until you suddenly moved from Queensland and dropped off the map.
(All past correspondence saved on a RAID 1 drive by the way; yeah, they're that important to me.)

Tried tracking you down to no avail. Even E-mailed your sister in Fiji; no response there.

Was poking around on the net, and lo-and-behold.

Send my your E-mail. Missed you damnit!

VICB3@AOL.COM

Denise said...

Hey, there's a blast from the past. What are you up to these days?

Denise said...

Hey, there's a blast from the past. What are you up to these days?

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL MEEEEEEE!!!!!

VICB3@AOL.COM

NEED YOUR E-MAIL!!!!


Well, off to the gym then.

Reply soonest.

Victor

Anonymous said...

E-MAIL MEEEEEEE!!!!!

VICB3@AOL.COM

NEED YOUR E-MAIL!!!!


Well, off to the gym then.

Reply soonest.

Victor