Monday, March 2, 2009

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Big Brother Gerald is currently in Malaysia. I've never been there so I was very interested in what he had to say about the place:


Before I arrived I thought I was going to write: “Kuala Lumpur is a more chaotic and less colourful version of Bangkok; more humid and less sparky. No Miss Puke Parlours for a start. And then there's those wailing minarets four times a day" ...

But no, I am very impressed. The people are very pleasant, and the city is so clean. Huge open spaces, clean roads, modern and old living in harmony. Friendly helpful people of all shades of colour, from darkest Tamil to whitest Norwegian. Fairly cheap too. Transport is dirt cheap. I even took a taxi into town this morning, and when I tendered a RM50 (about $25) for the RM3 fare, he just said, "no change" and gave me a free ride.

And as for Miss Pukes, the bus guide told us we were staying only a short distance from the blue light district, “Plenty girls” he said, “but just make sure they are girls”. He couldn’t answer the question “How?”. I have been told the best way is to look at the size of their larynxes, but for most men that is looking a bit higher than we normally look.

And the call to prayer call of, “Allahhh wakkkkk-e-bbbbarrrrrr” - God is great - almost drowned out the morning chorus from the mynahs and koukals.

Staying at the five star Renaissance Hotel which is spectacular, just under the amazing Petronas twin towers. It has ornate columns, huge paintings, lush carpets and huge stairs, "one going up, one going down and one going nowhere just for fun". I said that to our friendly vet, Bill Sutherland when inspecting his place. I don't think he was amused.

My new toy, the little Eee PC Net Book computer is really great. Takes up no room at all. Works well. I am going out now to see if I can get a internet café at 5.30 in the morning ...


So, there's the latest on Kuala Lumpur for you. I can see it will shortly become a destination for us as well.

No comments: