Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Favourite Shop in HK. For Lady R.

In the entire city of Hong Kong, with all it's fabulous shopping, this is absolutely the shop that rocks my world:

From the outside.Detail of the entrance.

It's called Hong Kong Treasure ...

... and there's nothing else like it anyplace else. Have a look at what he sells.


Isn't it something else again?

As you can see, it's all very baroque and dark, rich and rococo and completely and delightfully over the top. In fact, it's occasionally even a little too over the top for me:

Love it,
but don't think I could live with it.

He does a wonderful line in lamps and angels and I can really respect that. And his antique jewelry is a wonder too.


He used to have a courtyard garden that was all massive angels and gargoyles and antique garden furniture, but he's using the space for storage these days, which is so deeply disappointing.


Nonetheless, if I were to buy a house in HK - and with how the market's going it's looking like a plan - I would totally get this guy to be my designer. I love his sense of colour and his entire aesthetic and the eclectic way he puts disparate objects together. Mmmmhmmm! Love!

And if you love it too, you can find him at 20 Merlin Street (love that address) in North Point, and his phone number is 852-2503 3032.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these glorious photos, Denise -- I'll have three of everything in the store, please! I really love the bell jars dotted everywhere -- that's a vision I've long had for my own house, but getting the fragile big buggers here has proved to be quite the challenge thus far... Love, R xxx

Denise said...

My friend Rod had all his grandfather's huge glass dome cases full of specimens and because I loved them he gave all 24 of them to me, only I was traveling and so couldn't carry them so I left them to be picked up later ... and he sold them!