Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Greeting the Sun"

Quick story from this holiday; the best and funniest thing that happened. However, I won't tell it with names in order to save SOMEONE who richly deserves it from feeling mighty embarrassed:

See, I'm currently under instructions from my Hong Kong chiropractor to do the "Greet the Sun" yoga routine every morning. Apparently my spine needs it. And, you know, I kinda do what I'm told, often frequently.

Well, we were someplace ...

... unnamed ...
(photo taken through my sunglasses,
just for effect.)


... with some people - unnamed - when I was woken just past dawn by one of them "Come on. Let's go out and do the Greet the Dawn Sun yoga routine" said annoyingly cheerful Nameless.

Not happy! I prefer the "Greet the Noon Sun" routine myself! But ...

So we walk out onto the XXX. "From what I recall, we have to do it facing East." says The Needlessly Cheerful One. "Which way is East?"

"That way!" I say, pointing to the rising sun.

"No. No. I've got a very good sense of direction. It's ... mmmmm ... that way!" she says, pointing to the North West.

"No, I'm pretty sure it's this way." I say, again pointing to the sun.

"No, you're wrong. It's very definitely this way."

So, because she was so insistent and so sure, and because I have very good manners and that Fiji mana-thing about never showing up people and therein making them lose face, I did it her way ...

... then, as we were walking back later - me returning to bed - Needlessly Cheerful One says "Oh, silly us. We should have done "Greet the Sun" facing the sun. Why on earth didn't we think of it!"

Mmmmm, silly, silly US!

No comments: