Friday, August 14, 2009

No News!

Have to tell you this because I feel so smarty-pants and righteous about it:

A few days ago, I went for a facial and, for the first time ever in my life, the beautician said "Gosh, your skin is good. It feels so plump and moist. Very special. What on earth are you using?", which is particularly amazing because normally I get a long and depressing lecture about what is wrong and what I really should be doing.

So what's different this time? Well, the answer is very interesting because it's NOTHING WHATSOEVER!

Remember how, several months ago, I blogged about how I was reading the book "The Imperfectly Natural Woman" about all the dangerous chemicals in beauty products, and how terrifying I found it, and how I was determined to throw out everything and start using only coconut oil and diet? And that's indeed what I did!

And now, several months later, here I am actually being told my skin is fabulous! Jaw-dropping amazing, right?

So now you want to know my diet? OK, will share, but I am also hoping you totally ignore it because I want to keep my advantage.:

1) Five different types of fruit and berries each day, all of different colours. And - cringe! - I'm now eating the pith of citrus fruit along with the fruit itself! And whatever is left over I rub onto my skin and leave there for between ten and twenty minutes before rinsing off with filtered water. (So please don't visit me in the mornings!)

2) Five types of nuts and seeds everyday, except no peanuts, cashews or pistachios (OK, I love cashews so much I cheat a little.)

3) Lots of deep green leafy vegetables, particularly spinach (amazing with feta cheese) but also bok choy and kale and whatever else the right colour of green I find in HK's vegetable markets.

4) Everything cooked in virgin coconut oil (from Fiji whenever possible, but only because I'm so loyal and patriotic.) (OK, also a little bit because I've been to enough Fijian copra plantations to know exactly how they process this, so know for certain it's all good.)

5) Half my body weight divided by ten in litres of Fiji Water each day. (That's 3 litres ... although I could be lying a little.) (Again, it's only Fiji Water because I'm a nice little patriot!)

6) No wholegrains except quinoa or unpolished rice.

7) Heaps of spices, which I'm only just learning to use, so I heap lots of everything on everything with the plan to edit "next time."

8) Sea salt over everything. Gosh, food is so much nicer with it on, isn't it! Can't believe we all gave it up for so long!

So that's it. That simple!

And, if I needed extra support for this change, last week I met Marau from Fiji. Nice, nice guy who I thought to be in his late 30s. Truly, if he'd told me any age from 36 to 39 I wouldn't have questioned it. But, as it turned out, he is almost 60. "What on earth do you use on your skin?" I immediately had to ask. "Nothing. I'm a man. I don't do all that. Only coconut oil after I wash! Fiji-style, kila ga!"

Hey, I'm definitely up for some of that, so nothing is going to change this regime, and I'm kicking myself that I haven't been doing it all along.

Fijians, huh! They really know a thing or two about the important stuff, don't they!

No comments: