Friday, August 21, 2009

The Quilt from Margaret!

Let me show you something of great beauty:


It was a gift for Rayna made by Margaret. It's so beautiful let me show it to you again, only more close-up:


Rayna loves it as a great treasure, but took it out to show Marianna and me but, after admiring it profusely, Marianna said "It's beautiful, but it does worry me that an artist of Margaret's caliber would waste her time on something as mundane as quilting."

Rayna went all moue and silent but I could see both sides of the issue ... but in the end, you'd have to be a very great artist to risk putting such challenging colours up against each other and, ultimately, pull it off so well.

Kudos, Margaret. Kudos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I went all moue and silent, it's because I've heard it before, and had the same conversation with Mariana already, several times -- about Margaret, AND about me and my own "considerable" wasted talents that I'm dilettanting away, too. In fact, I've had that conversation with people my whole life, about myself. I still have it with my mother every single time I see her! I DO understand what Mariana means, and I know she means it in the nicest possible way, but honestly, what can you say to something like that? Should you nod your head, agree, thank them for pointing that out and then forgo your great passion that fills YOU with bliss, and instead take up something more "suitable" that pleases others? Hmmm? R x