Friday, January 15, 2010

Dafen Again

Took Kiwi Heather and Aussie Christine up to "The Magic Land Behind the Hand" yesterday:


 Kiwi Heather meets "The Hand"


As we already know, since this blog has visited many times in the past, this magical land is my favourite place on earth:  The Artist Village in Shenzhen up in Mainland China:

 DAFEN


Dafen Dining!

Kiwi Heather (on right) loved the place

but Aussie Christine (on left and not feeling well) 
says she vastly prefers 
Hui-An Artist Village in Vietnam.

For me, it was the usual lovely day. In fact, I can't think of any other way I'd prefer to spend my time than loafing around among art and artists with a fine meal thrown in for good measure.

Hey, on our wanderings, we actually found out the name of the strange artist who does those really dark and interestingly misshapen original paintings ... but that's so special it's a post for another day. And we also finally met an artist I've been admiring for a long time who does really interesting and often quite bizarre, dark and 'deeply subtextual' takes on portraits-from-photographs. Amazing stuff from a very original and exciting mind. Kiwi Heather was so inspired she handed over a photo of her children to be turned into one of his wonderfully strange oil paintings.

(He was very taken by the colour of her hair, by the way, and seemed very pleased when he saw that her kiddies shared that strange and beautiful gold colour, so I'm betting he'll do something around that theme.)

Also ... umm, Keith doesn't know and I don't think I should mention it until I've told him myself personally and face-to-face ... but ... but ... but ... the artist is soooo good and his work sooo interesting, and even though he didn't speak English I had to - like, really HAD to, because it would be a crime otherwise - commission him to do the painting I've had in my head for several months now.

But anyway, that's also for another post I think: what happens when you commission a painting from an artist who doesn't share any language in common with you, with only the odd rough sketch or two thrown in to explain. Really, really good fun and only 300 yuan complete with mounting and framing, and we pick them up late next week, so don't you too long to see the result?

(Two portraits completed in one week? Like, huh?  How fast does this guy work! He must have many minions to do the grunt-work for him, la!)

However, there are so many other posts in this, since I took a lot of photos, today I'll just show you different shots to those I've shown previously of what Dafen looks like physically, and we'll do the other posts later:


















And since the entire place is all about art, let's end this post with a shot of a wall of paintings for sale:




Love? And if you want a piece of Dafen but can't make it there yourself, here's a person who can make it all happen for you:


Annie, 
the resident English speaker 
at Hui Dan Gallery

Information for how to reach her is in a previous post.  I'd find it for you only ...

1 comment:

oil paintings said...

Its amazing what you can find in this world :)