Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Engine Room of Dafen

Artists at work. Since this is the engine room driving Dafen, let's wander down through the backstreets to see how it's done:

First off, and large, possibly the best photo I've ever taken in my life.  Just love the story in this:


The One Shot!


I see him as a farmer from the countryside
somewhere deep in China who has come here
with his young family
to see if he can earn a better life for them
from a gift he's always possessed.

After much pleading, gallery owner
has given him a chance to show
what he's capable of.

Too poor to rent an alcove,
and living in the streets
he's taking this one shot in a back alley
and giving it all he's got.

Every person in Dafen has a story. Talented painters rock up from all over China to take a chance on a future in art. And yes, here art is the commodity and in demand and they usually end up prosperous. Let me show you some more stories.

Oh no! My photo program has mixed up old and new photos of Dafen, but still I'm sure you can cope seeing some taken yesterday and some from earlier visits. 


 







See how most work in little alcoves or on the street and some combine rent and work together in a larger studio.  And please note how they never get paint on themselves.  I once saw an artist in an Armani suit painting a portrait of a gorilla and was almost finished and was still spotless. (Wonder if I can find that photo.) Like, huh? How do they manage it? OK, maybe they don't wipe their paint brushes on their pants like I do, but still!

But these artists! Always so clean. And damn, aren't they so talented. I can even say that when I don't like the work they're doing.

And there's several photos I know I have that are so beautiful and which I can't find, but I'll go looking and insert them when I eventually do find 'em.

No comments: