Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another Random Photo!

It's a bit like cheating, choosing random photographs for the day's post, but I'm enjoying it so let's do it again.  Usual rules: eyes shut, choose photo, and talk about it only if it's interesting. 


Ah, the Community Garden in St Kilda, in Melbourne. Loved that place.

When we were on holiday in Melbourne earlier this year, Keith wanted to visit St Kilda since it was one of the places on his radar for where he'd like to retire. I went along because ... well, as a spoiler really, because Melbourne is cold and I DON'T LIKE COLD!!! so I wanted to find a great many reasons for why this particular plan shouldn't even be on our agenda.

But I couldn't be completely horrible because St Kilda is really quite lovely, and I loved how many bookshops the area had, all with comfy reading chairs and the dozens of people sitting around reading poetry, and the individual-owned shops were rather special and the beach was nice-ish,  and the cafes were very chic, but it wasn't until I saw this Veg Out Community Garden that I thought I too could live there.

I think it was all the mosaics that sold me because I loved the way folks had mosaic-ed all over these old storm water drains and planted inside them.

My mum used to plant in upright old storm-water pipes at our beach-house because the soil was too saline for most plants, but she never did mosaics on them. Molly, however, did. At her river-side house, she also has a problem with saline soil so followed mum's lead, but thought they didn't look right so did amazing mosaics on them, and I've always loved how special that section of her garden looks.
 
And here at St Kilda Community Garden, the idea has really taken off and it was so nice seeing such lovely examples of the genre.

I meant to do a post on them so took lots of photos, but then, as you know, I lost all my photos and have only just found them again, so maybe I should think of doing this post afterall.

Only not today.

No comments: