Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Random Photo!

I have no idea what Keith has done, but this blog now appears to link with Aperture and not i-photo.

However, annoyed as I am, because I can't post recent shots, I will celebrate again having access to my 28,000 photos by shutting my eyes and choosing one at random. As usual,  if it's interesting I'll tell you about it, and if I isn't I'll go for a walk around Wan Chai instead.


Ah, that's funny!  Julie from Korea taking yet another of her very weird photos.  

Julie was the nice lady who, about three years ago, when we were holidaying in Far North Queensland, offered to come down to Townsville with me to help me oil my decks (and no, that's not a euphemism for anything smutty). She was backpacking alone around Australia and was out of money but didn't want to hitchhike alone, so we hitched lifts down The Great Green Way from Cairns together, despite not being able to talk to each other.

However, for the entire journey, I could never understand why she'd always photograph the strangest things and her English wasn't good enough to ask so I mostly had to remain in a state of perpetual be-flummox-ment.

Although there was one occasion when I thought I saw her shoot something so off-the-wall I simply had to know, so willingly went through the struggle to communicate ... and it turned out that I'd seen it wrong because she actually had the camera turned around the other way and was really snapping herself against the backdrop of Hinchinbrook Island.  I felt very silly!

However, that isn't what's happening here, is it!  She really is photographing her coffee, isn't she!

Oh, wait!  Maybe I do know what that's about!  Something really awful had just happened. We were dropped off at a town called Rollingstone, at a roadside cafe, and went in to order and the owner refused to serve Julie.  Took one look and went all rigid and hard-faced and said he didn't wait on Asians.  I was totally and completely taken aback and I wish I could tell you I did or said something very clever but I can't!  I didn't know how much Julie understood so I just stalked out with Julie lagging behind looking confused.  Then I made her wait at the tables outside the cafe while I walked over to the petrol station and got us something there instead!

So maybe that's why she's taking this photo. She understood a lot more than I realised and wanted something for her records!  Perhaps that's it ... or else she's a great and misunderstood artiste who will one day be recognised for her quirky Warhol-ish art!

And I wish I could recall the name of the cafe ... but if you too are outraged and want to boycott the place or something, I'm sure you can recognise it from the background of this shot.

No comments: