Monday, December 13, 2010

Another Random Photo!

Nothing in particular to write about today, so I'll go for another random photo.  Usual rules: eyes shut, click, and if it's interesting I'll tell you about it and if it isn't, I go off to do something else.


Ah yes, I remember these.  They are the rag dolls the orphans make for sale in Lao's royal city of Luang Prabang.  Love those colours! And, despite the simplicity, those dolls are remarkably sophisticated, aren't they.

Man, the entire Indo-Chine region has an exciting take on colour; so daring and yet they so often get it really right.

I took this photo while deciding whether I should buy them or not as a Christmas present. Our dear friend Marg collects gollywogs - yeah, I think it's politically incorrect too, but she's so clever and so into post-modernism and can do all that discursive analysis stuff with such ease and skill, that if you pointed out her "incorrect" she'd just have fun wrapping you up in words and ideas until you'd realise that collecting gollywogs is undoubtedly a triumphant act of "politically correct" and you're a total idiot for not already knowing that! - and I didn't know if she'd like them or if she'd go-snitty because I hadn't chosen within the precisely right paradigm or something.

In the end, I decided it was all too fraught and went off for a massage instead.

No comments: