Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Food in HK


Keith is still on his infernal quest to eat every sort of food cooked up by the Cantonese - who cook and eat EVERYTHING so he's got a long haul ahead - and last night we found a restaurant that served snake. 

I can't tell you if snake tastes like chicken because I had the fish, but I can tell you that people who eat snake look like chickens.

Not kidding: normally HongKongers are very conservative so I couldn't get over the haircuts of all the diners. They all had something like a mohawk, all shaved sides and gelled up high on top, only these guys were all in business suits so it looked the wrongest wrong imaginable.

It took me a while to figure out that these weren't Weird-World Accountants ... we were, in fact, in triad territory. These were all members of the same gang ... perhaps The Snake Eaters Tong. The Chicken Head Tong? Who knows! But they were all very nice and everyone left us alone, although they possibly wouldn't have if I asked them to explain their stupid dos. And Keith reports that their snake and abergine hotpot is very nice but we'll take his word for it, won't we!

As you can see, I have no real news. I'm just killing time while Keith watches some silly man-movie.

No comments: