Wednesday, April 2, 2008

NORTH QUEENSLAND - 2007

My baby sister Jane adores fossicking for gems. She also adores writing poetry. Here's a cute poem she sent me last year that combines the two.


THE INNISFAIL GEM CLUB TRIP TO AGATE CREEK

Have you ever fossicked at Agate Creek?I now have ......
and you just can't beat
The colours of the rocks you get
plus the fellow Diggers I've now met.

So I'll tell you about it...
to pass some time
and just to be clever
I'll make it Rhyme.

The car was packed ...
For a sardine ride
...if I said I helped
I would have lied

The 5 hour trip
was from dawn to noon.
and we passed the time
with a game and tune

The scenery went
from tropics to dust
with the bladder varying
between empty to bust.

Then we arrived to a camp site
which was heaven-sent
with wide open spaces
to set up your tent

And showers that
were always hot
with loos that flushed
where you didn't squat.

And on this occasion
the gem clubs ruled
with a communal Fire
and Campers well schooled ...

On the where abouts
of where to spec
And the secret stash
of a world class egg.

On polishing and cutting
and driving skills
when the dif lock beats
low range on them-there hills

We learnt how Bob
loves burning Gidgy wood
and how Reecey would only
pick stones that were good

How Julie had to ventolin puff
In a hole with Paul
when he slipped
Out a 'fluff'

We noted that Craig
being Technically inclined
G.P.S ed all the points
of the spots we did find.

There was Max and Rose
who are there for 6 weeks
and Dave who blasted us
with the Dixey Chicks

And Adrenalin Jason
with his family fair
who played his Saxophone
in the cool night Air.

So with blisters and brown faces
We return to the sublime
with plans to return
At August Time

c. 2007 Jane Murphy.
>

No comments: