Sunday, April 27, 2008

ISOBELLE CARMODY

Isobelle and Little Fir.
(SCMP doesn't allow you to use their images in blogs, 
but this is obviously a photo taken by me.)

Had lunch with Australian fantasy author Isobelle Carmody and must tell you she's just gorgeous.  Back when I taught English in High School, I used to teach her novel "The Gathering" which the kids always fell in love with.  Adults, being adults, think her books are too dark and frightening for children but when has that ever stopped kids from loving something, and there is something about her books that really get to them.  (I suspect it's the depth of her characterisations and the fact her children always rescue themselves.)

How I got to meet her is that the "Little Fir" series are about to be published in China and her long-time friend Mrs Walker (of "Mrs Walker's Obscure Tours" in entries below) organised a trip to Hong Kong so she could check out the place. Mrs Walker also organised a very nice Literary Lunch - kindly paid for by the Australian Embassy - so we could all meet her too, and I have to tell you I have never seen so many elfin children in one place ever before.  I wished I was casting for "Lord of the Rings" because I would have been spoiled for choice.

Got to meet Isobelle properly after the crowd left and we had such a funny conversation about "dressing as an author". We both thought the other did it very well, but, really, she just aces it. I adore her elegant "Mrs Haversham meets Griselda" and wish I had the confidence to do it myself. 

We also chatted about HK and she said she'd always avoided the place because she thought it would be crazy. Instead she found a safe, dynamic city, where everyone is calm and has such beautiful manners and she mentioned that several times she's been walking around alone after midnight and felt more safe than she ever has in any place ever before. I said, as I always do when people say this, "That's because the triads don't allow freelance crime!" and she said "I really would like to write them a letter to thank them."  Isn't that such a wonderful line? I'm almost tempted to steal it.

Isn't it nice when someone you admire as a writer turns out to also be a great person.

So, there it is: and if you want to know more about Isobelle Carmody click on her name - although I don't quite trust that is what will come up - so you can also try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobelle_Carmody

No comments: