Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Datong, China.

Raving about Pak Ou Caves to everyone, people are now telling me about Datong Caves, up in Northern China near the Tibet border, where, so I'm told, there are over 51,000 Buddhas carved into the limestone.

This is obviously a place I have to know more about.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the place:

The Yungang Grottoes, or Cloud Ridge Caves (云岗石窟 yún gǎng shí kù)are a collection of shallow caves located 16 km west of Datong. There are over 50,000 carved images and statues of Buddhas and Boddhisatvas within these caves, ranging from 4 centimeters to 7 meters tall. Most of these icons are around 1000 years old.

OK, I'm sold. This is now on my travel agenda.

The Aitkensen's have just come back from a jaunt around Mainland China ...

The Aitkensens on The Great Wall.

... and I know Datong Caves were on their radar, although I don't know if they were also on their agenda. They are now in Paris - ahhh, what a life! - but the moment they get back I intend to find out all I can about their travels.

I may even blog about them, so watch this space.

You can take Kai Viti anyplace, sure,
but you can't expect them to
behave themselves.
The Aitkensens dancing on The Great Wall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a marama from Fiji your blogs pretty cool. Me from Fiji too, also in HK!

Denise said...

Wow, lewa!, bula vinaka! We should get together sometime. I live in Wan Chai, which is Party Central for visiting Kai Viti. You?

And vinaka vaka levu for your kind comment.