Sunday, January 4, 2009

Night Markets at Luang Prabang

Gosh, those Night Markets have some wonderful merchandise. And cheap as chips. Let me show you a sample:
Hmong dolls.

Khmer dolls.
Yes, we can all see
they're actually gollywogs.

Religious puppets.

Hand-carved hands.


Lights for sale.

Silks to die for!

Religious tile art.

Hmong slippers!

Hope you like this quilt, Rayna,
because it's now yours!


Handmade children's books.

The famous Hmong quilts!

Snakes in a bottle.
Not sorry I didn't buy these!

I'm so sorry now that I didn't buy heaps more but Keith wouldn't let me. He was cross that he lost all his American dollars to "Lao Impromptu Christmas Bonus Fund".

What happened to make him so cross and stingy was that, at the Luang Prabang Airport, he got hauled off by government types (what is it about Keith and airports recently!) and was told he had to board a flight out immediately ... unless he paid them US$250.00. Since I was waiting for him, and they had guns, he had no choice but to pay. AND they didn't give him a receipt. So there went a lot of our "silk buying" money.

It's most odd isn't it. And why him? If Australian Customs have him on a "naughty list" someplace because of that Ginseng incident six months ago, I hope they feel very bad that I couldn't buy heaps and heaps of silks and quilts because of what they've done!

No comments: