Saturday, June 5, 2010

"I Cry for Peace"

Watching "American Idol" for seven seasons now and always thinking there's something amiss. Finally got it and "When Americans sing, they seldom really connect with you." I started telling folk.

"Yes, they do!" I got back from everyone! 

"No, they DON'T!" I'd say, and then the arguments would start and I eventually realised that my standards are just too high because the no one from the rest of the world ever seems to know what a real connection is. 

Fijian singers CONNECT! In fact, Fijians are the Platonic Ideal of singers and I have been spoiled rotten with a lifetime of songs and singers who truly connect, since every single time any random Fijian sings a song, your neck hairs stir and goosebumps rise on your arms, and you can practically feel the molecules in your body sucking it all in.

Anyway, because one ever gets what I was talking about, just to prove the point, I'm currently googling for the old Fijian songs I loved as a child so I can send them around and thus other folk can feel those goosebumps and finally get it; finally understand what is perhaps the Platonic Ideal of HOW songs should be done. 

I mean, have a look at this: simply three little Fijian girls clearly being raised in America doing voice and harmony warm-ups backstage before a charity concert:



Don't you just yearn to hear the rest of it?

Oh man, I LOVE youtube.  It truly is a latter-day "Library of Alexandria"! Sure, there's a heap of guff and garbage in there, but also practically everything you want to find out about - practically everything worth knowing about - right there in one sincerely beautiful, easily accessible spot.  Man, what a concept!  True democracy! Carnivale! A Bakumanian Utopia! Other Voices! Non-hegemonic voices! Voices unmarginalised and from grassroots! Just beautiful!

And, best of all, there is now practically nothing you can ever talk about that you can't find in there, so it's like a couple of clicks and - voila! - "See, told you so!".

So, there I am, wanting folks to hear what real singing sounds like and so you-tubing for Fijians-In-Song and for all those amazing old Fijian songs I so loved as a child and, yes, they are increasingly in there in numbers ... and I get to send the links around and thus say those most gratifying of lines: "See, I told you so!"

Anyway, I'm not posting a heap of those old songs in here so you too can see, although I highly recommend you too go looking for Old Fijian Songs and "let your goosebumps be your guide!" as to how singers should sing!

However, what I will share with you is this Danny Costello number I have just found on youtube: "I Cry for Peace!"  about our horrible coup culture.  Maybe no goosebumps, but a very nice, poignant and much needed song:

No comments: