Thursday, June 10, 2010

Not paying Attention!

Remembering what I really have always loved about film script writing. It's the way you get pulled into an absorbing alternative world and it gets so it seems almost more real than the one you really do live in.

Mind you, I do know how annoying that can be for other folk.  I have a friend who's written nine books set on another planet - for which she's even written, like Tolkien also did for his Elves, her own language for how they speak - and she's so into that world she's even begun to think in her language - and so it's increasingly hard for her to live also on this planet, which is particularly sad for her students because she's a long-time University Academic and none of them really "speak her language".

However, there's so much happening around me here I'm barely noticing so not telling you about and that's just wrong. For instance, there were all those suicides at the i-phone factory over the border in Shenzhen. That was a huge story here, especially when the CEO arrived in person to address the workers' issues head-on.

Oh man, that was one brave CEO! Total respect for the gentle way he took on his thousands of angry workers. I hope you saw him in action on your TVs wherever you live. What a man! Courage to burn! 

However, the upshot was he raised the workers' salaries 70% so they had something real to live on ... which has lead to mass protests at all the other Shenzhen factories who are also getting smidgen wages but not killing themselves over it ... and which appears to be spreading further afield into the other SEZ cities ... and perhaps even leading to greater disquiet elsewhere in China!

So I really should be paying closer attention because I think this is going to be HUGE!

However, there's a waterfall in Fiji which is calling to me so I must go back.  Those dreadlocked teenagers don't just kill themselves, you know!

No comments: