Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Andrew's Bathroom!

Andrew visited us many years ago in Townsville and saw my mosaics and said he'd like to do one in his bathroom in Brisbane.

He'd never done any mosaic-ing before so I must confess I didn't have high expectations ... but here's his result:


Extraordinary, isn't it!  And just look at the workmanship!


 And look at some of the ideas he invented:


See how the tiles gradually become whole.  Man, that is so clever!  And the subtle graduation of colour and shading.

And this is his FIRST EVER mosaic.  I have been mosaic-ing for over a decade and I KNOW I couldn't do something even a quarter as accomplished!

And then he decided to make his own burglar-bars for the room and these are they:


Boy, that guy is one great big smarty-pants, isn't he!

While in Brisbane last week, we were talking about "schadenfreude",  the German concept of rejoicing in the downfall of your friends. Loredana, who grew up on the Italian concept of "dancing on the graves on your enemies", found the entire idea unfathomable and decided it had to be "a German thing".  However, looking at Andrew's bathroom, I wondered if there was another German concept for "feeling cross over your friends successes" and decided that Andrew may be a very dear old friend, close to my heart for 25 years, but, where this bathroom is concerned, he really makes me feel GGRRRRR!

No comments: