Monday, November 8, 2010

Random Letter from 2004!

 Since absolutely nothing is happening in our lives at present, for today's offering, I'll find another old letter:


Ah, here's one from just after our return from Saigon, when I got the TB bacillae in my gums from using the hotel tapwater to clean my teeth:

You know, I've come away from all this with the deepest and most
profound respect for Dr Yap. I realise now that that consultation I had about the Saigon Sewerage Bug was the most incredible thing I've ever witnessed.

It was all so different to what usually happens.

Right at the start, when he took all those different pulses in my wrist, I thought "Gosh, how incompetent he must be that he has to fumble to find my pulse." so I asked him if he was having trouble finding my pulse because I had low blood pressure or something, he said "Chinese medicine tests six different things at the pulse."

Well, immediately after, he asked me to lie down and he felt my spleen and asked me if it hurt and it did ...

... can you see how clever that is? There's me with a big red swollen balloon-face and he goes straight from pulse to spleen. He knew. I can see that now.

Genius! Amazing! Perfect hybrid synthesis of eastern and western medicine. And he sooo knows his stuff. Both his stuffs. Anglo-stuff/Sino-stuff!!!

And he sooo looks like the wise old  Chineseman-come-"British
gentleman" you'd want to have at your back in a crisis! He's in his
70s, and he wears a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows.

Isn't that soooo the person you want as your doctor? And he's soooo like my parents in that he doesn't believe you should tamper with your body, seeing it as a perfect machine that doesn't fail you
unless something is amiss, and he goes straight to the heart of the matter.

And he works just around the corner from where we live now.
How lucky is that? Love, love, love him!!!

Can't thank Bernie-the-Bored enough for recommending him!!!

Let you know when the tests come back.

 Denise

No comments: