Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jake Shimabukuro, Ukuele Whizz!

Keith went last night to a ukulele concert. Can't believe I got through that sentence without laughing!

I did however burst into derisive laughter when he asked if I wanted to go too!

I have issues with the ukulele. I know it's a Pacific Island invention and I should respect it even on those grounds alone but nope, not a chance! I think it's the worst instrument ever created and that it trivialises songs and that pinker-pinker-pink sound brings out my inner-GRRRRRR.

Mind you, that's probably exactly why Keith put together a ukulele band a decade ago, and when he found out I hated banjos almost as much, they added one of those too. Passive-aggressive gits! And they used to rehearse on our veranda. For HOURS!!! 

AND can you believe it? They actually got work! Not much, but a couple of gigs! A couple too many is what I think!

Anyway, I've already told you all this, and about how, back then, I blamed Seasonal Affective Disorder brought on by the four month long heatwave, however he's now back to banging on and on about the ukulele and what a great instrument it is, and, this time, since weather in Hong Kong has been totally perfect for weeks, I can't possibly find an excuse for it!

And now here's Jake Shimabukuro arriving from Honolulu to do a series of concerts at Poly U or something, just in time to encourage him.  AAHHH!


Anyway, Keith got home from the concert last night and raved about how fantastic Jake Shimabukuru is and said I missed a great night.  Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

He also said I should find Jake Shimabukuro's "Bohemian Rhapsody" before I pass judgement, so I'll do that now:





OK, I can see what Keith means about Jake being a very charming young man ... and that isn't a heinous version of that very great Queen song ... but, for heaven's sake, IT'S A SODDING UKULELE!!!!

No comments: