Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Lakhsmi" - For Molly

Molly, there's good news and bad news.

Bad news? If you read my last post about Dafen, you'd know France swept through and took all the best paintings and best artists and shipped them off to the South of France to set up a similar "Artist Village" there. Well, I'm sorry to tell you that the gorgeous Lakhsmi you wanted PLUS that artist were among those so-cruelly taken.

Explaining to the shop owner
which of Dunhuang's
Lakhsmis I was after.


Good news? The shop is currently breaking in a new artist to "tribute" Dunhuang's Lakhsmi series and he has several copies of each one.

Bad news? The new artist isn't in the same league as the previous one. In fact, the lovely guy who owns the shop, Jin, was even embarrassed to show these paintings to me. However, I insisted and thus ...

Good news? Since Dafen artists are all so extraordinary, even "not in the same league" is better than what you'd see anywhere else in the world, although this guy doesn't make you want to weep at the sheer beauty of Lakhsmi's hands.

Even Better news? The shop owner said "Half the quality; half the price", and so I got you one on the cheap.

Your Lakhsmi.
You'll have to wait til you get it
to see it the correct way round.

Sure, it isn't amazing like the other one, but ... you like?


And if you aren't Molly and you're looking at this painting and thinking "Must get me a half-quality/half-price Dunhuang Lakhsmi of my own!", this shop is called Guang Yuan Art Shop and it can be reached at: kingkong88@21cn.com (He asked me to pass this on. It was the condition he let me photograph inside his shop.) (Funny, huh!, how these Dafen folk "tribute" other artists but don't like you "tributing" their "tributes"!)

No comments: