Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Naughty Little Artist Friend - Dafen, China

OK, one story before I go for the day:

You remember the very first post I ever wrote about Dafen? When I told you about the naughty little naked toddler who I saw steal an artist's paints and smear them all over his hands and rub them all over bits of white paper? And then seriously looking at the results? Like, seriously looking, his little brain clearly ticking over, as though contemplating what he'd achieved. And how I predicted that one day this boy would grow up to be a real artist?

Well, over the years I've watched him grow up. And here he is yesterday with his big sister:

My naughty little artist friend,
his big sister and Yue Minjin

I took this Yue Minjin shot for revenge. See, the moment he saw me this visit, he squealed delightedly and gestured for me to hang around while he raced off. When he came back he had his camera and then he got right into my face and snapped away, getting me to pose looking through my fingers and grimacing hideously. Obviously he's thinking along the lines of some "Gruesome Gweilo" project of his own.

And then his big sister went through the photos and critiqued them for him, and he was clearly taking her comments very seriously. Obviously these two are a good team and she's going to feature very large in his future biographies.

Big sister critiquing the
deliberately hideous shots
he took of me!

He's going to be a serious artist one day! I'm telling you this now! I really should find out his name! Just so I can one day say "Told you so!"




No comments: