Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cute Little Piece of History.

When Halley was showing me around her old neighbourhood in Guangzhou, soon to be demolished and which I do intend to show you any day now, we came across a shop selling all the old signs they'd gathered up from around the area.

Cantonese, huh!
Knee-jerk entrepreneurs!
Never let a sale go by!

There were several of them that made her feel all nostalgic since she'd known them all her life.

One of these, which she really wanted me to buy, was a sign from the turn of the previous century that read "Smoking adds to your Health!"

I think this is it,
although this could be the
definition of happiness.
Not being able to read
much Chinese, I can't be sure.

Of course, it could be this one: Or this one:
If you wonder why so many elderly Chinese smoke ... I'm sure signs like this are the reason.

Don't you just love coming across genuine pieces of important Social History! I'd buy them all only ... don't want to pay Foreign Devil prices. Maybe someone would like to send money to Halley and let her bargain them down for the lot, and then I'll send them on to you. And all I'd want for my commission is the one that says "Smoking adds to your health!"

2 comments:

freddyvatoo at gmail.com said...

First 2 are signs for money exchange shops. The next says something about lots of abundance. The last says something about 5 worlds something something.... maybe this is the smoking one.

Denise said...

You are endless clever and I thank you for this.