Monday, December 7, 2009

Lan Kwai Fong, HK

Old friend Margaret is arriving in HK next week, and we plan to jaunt up to China for the shopping, visa permitting, naturally. However, because Keith and I are off to New Zealand in a fortnight, we can't be up there for more than a couple of days, so, for most of Margaret's latest HK jaunt, we'll just hang out in HK.

But there will be no Lan Kwai Fong this time. Learned my lesson. Definitely. Her last HK holiday, I took her for a night out at LKF - this gorgeous old area near HK's Soho known as "HK's Party Central" - but the minute we walked through the street entrance into the little winding streets, she stopped dead and said "For heaven's sake. I'm too old for this." and started walking away ... and I'm suddenly thinking "Gosh, I am too old for this too."

However, I've been back many times since and no, I'm not too old to find this place totally wonderful. It's a crazy, friendly, fun area, all bars and restaurants and cafes, karaoke bars, nightclubs and such, but so much action at street level most folks just spend the evenings hanging around on the pavements. It's always a good time to be had there.

Let me see if I can find any image on it, so you can see how much fun a night out here is:



This appears to be a Requiem Gathering to farewell Michael Jackson, thus a special night, so it's not quite what usually happens; nonetheless, it gives you an idea. Gotta love, huh! Despite what Grumpy Old Margaret thinks of it!

Hey, maybe I could try taking her back there again. Yeah? And the best bit is that she'd really hate me for it! YES!!!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: