Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Taipei Volcano.

As you know, I fully intended to visit the new volcano that started forming on the outskirts of Taipei days after Taiwan's devastating earthquake Christmas three years ago.

It was definitely on the cards and I got everyone excited about it, but then, when the time came to go, I noticed all the Kiwi Contingent with "Lonely Planet Guides" had broken out their hiking boots.

There is nothing like the sight of hiking boots that puts me in urgent need of a facial, a massage and maybe even a pedicure so I balked, gave my apologises, and raced away to take care of 'those really urgent and important things'.

Saw them all back at nightfall, limping. Turns out they took the MRT all the way out to the very edge of the city and then started to trudge.

Round and round, they went, searching for the little baby volcano, until their feet, despite their bamboo socks, were all aching and blistered, so they found a nice hot wet fissure in the earth, full of warm bubbling water, took their hiking boots off and stuck their feet in there for the longest time. Very pleasant and needful, they said.

They also said there were new public saunas along the tracks, taking advantage of this thermal activity, but they had lots of those back in New Zealand and so gave it all a miss.

And wasn't I glad that I too had given this whole thing a miss.

No comments: