Monday, November 30, 2009

Bamboo Underwear!

Have you ever seen these before?


Underwear entirely made out of bamboo? And they have socks and elastic bandages and things like that in the same fabric as well.

I couldn't believe it, so had one of those lovely conversations where neither of you speak a word of the other person's language.

But I ended up convinced and, from what I gathered, it would seem you char the bamboo and weave it, and end up with an elastic fabric that apparently is a natural antiseptic and kills germs and totally never smells or anything.

I thought it was so amazing I got myself a set, but when I got back to the hotel and met up with the Kiwi contingent and told them this exciting piece of news, they were all "ho hum!" and it turns out that they were all wearing bamboo socks. "Been wearing them for years." I was told, and "Never travel without them.", and "They are more eco-friendly." and "I support the NZ wool industry so I wear regular wool socks at home, but I always wear bamboo socks and underwear when I'm abroad. They never smell so you don't have to wash your smalls so often."

I should have guessed. New Zealand is probably more Eco-forward than any other country so of course they'd know all about bamboo fabrics. So, New Zealand, sorry if this post bores you, but just ignore it. It's meant for the rest of the world which isn't the same sort of Eco-Innovation-Friendly country you are!

And for everyone else, this is an excellent travel tip: get yourself bamboo socks and undies for travel purposes, particularly if you're going to be hiking or camping or trudging off anywhere else away from the comforts of civilisation for an extended period of time, and particularly if it's going to be cold, because there's definitely nothing nicer than having smalls which you don't have to rinse out so often because they never, never stink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bamboo clothing is sold in HK. It can be found at:

http://www.bambooclothing.com.hk/?gclid=CMqB68X7tp4CFQQupAod7zyCmg