Sunday, November 29, 2009

Taipei Artists Village. For Lois.

Lois had to fly out to Hanoi and was kicking herself that she hadn't got to Taipei's Artists Village. Since I was staying on, "Denise, will you go for me and take photos to show me what I've missed." she asked. So that's what I did.

What did Lois miss? Well, for nearly three hours, I walked the lengths and breadths of all the streets north of the Shandao Temple:

The Shandao Temple.

And for the longest time, I was convinced I was missing the village because all I saw was acres of this:



It wasn't until I'd been walking around for hours, struggling to read the map, then interpret the map, then, after not finding it, going back to re-read and re-interpret the map, trying for other routes and roads, going down every single side-street and back alley in the Shandao area, I realised how truly, truly stupid I was.

Lois, I think we can safely say you missed nothing because the Taipei's Artists Village is no more.


I did however see Sun Yat-Sen's house from across the road, but, by that time, it was far too late to get in so I didn't even try:

Sun Yat-Sen's place in Taipei.
Was once next to the Artists Village.
Now next to acres of derelict houses
and bare earth.

And, boy, did I need a foot massage at the end of that trek. The things we do for Art, la?

No comments: