Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sapate!

Have you ever seen these before?


No, they're not winsy little rolled-up armadillos, although I think that's what they look like too. They're an Indonesian fruit called, I think, sapate.

I'd never seen or heard of them either, but when some market lady gave me these two to try, how could I refuse?

They are really difficult to peel, because that skin only comes off in fragments at a time ... and, damn, it looks so much like snake-skin I wanted to use the pieces to make a pair of shoes. Seemed a pity to throw them out.

The fruit itself tastes nothing like fruit. It looks, smells and tastes like ... mmmm? Macadamia nuts! Most odd and unexpected indeed. Not sure if this will become something I do often, but I'm sure these are something which, as an acquired taste, one would eventually grow to enjoy.

Wonder how Indonesians use them in cooking? I think they'd work cooked.

No comments: