Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another Random Photo.

Since it was fun last time just finding a photo to post with my eyes shut, I'll do it again.  And, again, if it's something worth talking about, I will, and if it isn't, I'll go off to see a movie instead.

Seeing how bad this photo is
makes me almost pleased 
that particular camera was stolen 
up in China last year.

Ah yes, this one was from two years ago, when I was up in Mainland China over Chinese New Year and thinking just how yuck yellow and purple flowers look together.

Do you know about that?  How, in China, they celebrate their new year by placing pots of yellow and purple flowers and fruit around their front doors, representing a desire for health and longevity ...

 I mean, how YUCK is that!

... and I was walking along thinking how they were such an unfortunate mix of colours, so I made it a quest to find pots that actually worked visually.

And this photo two above was my winner; a more orange-y yellow with the purple.

And now I want to find others from this same quest, although I doubt I can find those photos again.

No luck yet, but look what I did find:


 I did have some afterall!

Yes, it's yet another of Ianbo's Carrie Chau statues, with a Carrie Chau's painting in the background.  Remember how I couldn't find any back in a previous post?

This is from an exhibition she threw together to raise money for the Sichuan earthquake victims last year, and that painting you can see back there is one she donated to the cause and she was selling postcards of it as a fundraiser.  I got heaps, as you may know since I've already sent them all out to folks and used up my entire supply.

Let me try again:

No luck, but I did find another lost photograph:

The Hero of Hong Kong.

This gorgeous fellow, something Wong, was the only HKer to consistently score tries in last year's HK7, so we loved him to death.

Then, only a few months ago, I walked into a cafe here in HK and was astonished to hear Polynesian music - a Maori song to be specific - "Po Keri Keri Ana" or "Band of Men" or "Knock Three Times" or "Slice of Heaven" or some other unofficial Maori anthem - and looked over to see three fellows playing guitar together, only two of whom were large Maori warrior-types and the third was this lovely fellow.  Naturally I HAD to ask, and it turns out that he was doing some sort of rugby training workshop with New Zealand All Blacks and they were having some typical-Maori downtime together.  

Anyway, I told him I'd taken a photo of him surrounded by little autograph hunting kiddies and he said he'd love to see it, only I couldn't find it to send to him.  And now I've found it.

And since the All Blacks have honoured him by sending over a few players to coach him aren't you just longing to see him play again in this year's HK7s next month. 

And all this has taken an hour of my life and I'm not going in again, so you'll have to go without seeing more photos of the shades of yellow and purple that actually do work together.  Can you live with that?

Later:

Found the post where I previously showed you Something Wong's photograph.

No comments: