Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Photo #9

No time today so again with the photo chosen by chance:


Ah, the Tanka Gods of Protection.  Can't remember their names - something like Lao Bao and Lao Li - and there is absolutely nothing I can find on-line about them except that their pictures are to be renewed or refreshed on the first day of each Chinese New Year.

However I can tell you that they were both once living men, Tanka Generals who fought against the regular Chinese for the protection of their people, and who won, and so, after they died, the Tanka assigned them to the heavens and their images are placed onto doors to protect buildings.

If I had time I'd find photos of Tanka doors to show you, but I don't have time. That shot above is of a cupboard I fell in love with, so it will have to do.

No comments: