Friday, March 25, 2011

HK7s! Saturday!

None of the bars on Lockhart Road are showing the HK7s.  Everyone is saying the local channel Pearl won it over the satellite channels, so I'm sitting at home, huddled under blankets, watching.

It's not the same.

And Dennis in Noumea, in New Caledonia, says it's not on there either so it's stupid for a local channel to be showing it.  I mean, Fiji stops for this Tournament so what will they do without live satellite feed.  Watch on their computers? 

I mean, seriously, for a tournament as exciting as HK7s, is THIS really enough?

However, according to unconfirmed rumour, it will be on satellite tomorrow for the big games and I'll be so cross if it isn't true.  This year, I've been doing this "huddled under blankets" routine while watching the unfolding of various natural disasters that have personal impact on my life ... and I really don't like doing the same for something as wonderful and fun as HK7s.  It feels so wrong.

But, since it doesn't appear to be going out to the world, the big news is that Fiji beat Malaysia 59-0 yesterday and we've just this minute beat Russia 22-14!  Really exciting game!

But I do have to say, I really don't like that "L" gesture Fiji's making every time they score!  It looks suspiciously like taunting which definitely isn't in the spirit of 7s.  I have no doubt they really intend it to mean "Thank you, Lord!" or "This one's for you, Lord!" but it certainly isn't coming across that way and it's making even ME want to cheer for the other team.

We play Kenya this afternoon.  Fingers crossed for that one!  Yes, I know Russia slaughtered Kenya and Fiji kinda-little-bit slaughtered Russia, but I doubt Kenya was playing their A-Game for a team like Russia they didn't have reason to respect!  And they DO definitely respect Fiji!  It'll be a nail-biter, I hope!

(Later:  Fiji beat Kenya 40 nil, and Kenya really was trying.)

Apart from that, the big news is they're trying to introduce a new between-matches song.  Since I'm not at the stadium, I don't know how that's going down. You'll recall they tried to change the song last year and, on Friday at the Stadium, 40,000 spectators just sang "Hey, Baby, Uh! Ha!" over the top of the new song, so by Saturday the old song - Our Song!!! - ""Hey, Baby, Uh! Ha!" was back in its rightful place!

I don't know this new song, so let's see if I can find it on youtube:



They MUST be kidding!!!  Oh for heaven's sake.  GET IT OFF!!!! And apart from anything else, this "Best Party on Earth" has NOTHING to do with America so why the heck should they be given a presence at all!

I mean, the only reason they're here is so that the rest of the world can stomp all over them and show them exactly why they never let the rest of the world into their so-called "World Series!"

Nah, this is a truly stupid song and so completely wrong and must GO!!!

I mean, who on earth thinks it can compete with:



We can't let this song go easily, because NOTHING feels better than joining in with 40,000 people singing along at the top of their lungs to THIS song!

I mean, it even knocks this one for a six:



However, that one we do let them play every now and again because it's fun to sing every couple of hours!

And naturally, we can never let each day end without the usual ...



... and it's been the End of Day song for HK7s since the 1970s because nothing beats leaving the Stadium at the end of a fabulous day with your 40,000 new Best Friends with all us singing along at the top of our lungs.  Social scientists have tried to work out why it should be so, and claim significance for certain lines - "good times never seemed so good" resonating so strongly and "reaching out, touching hands" with everyone reaching out and touching hands with everyone around them -  but I suspect it's really because we all do a "Boom! Boom! Boom!" chant during the empty spaces ... but nonetheless it's Our Special HK7s Leaving-The-Stadium Song and it is definitely part of the magic of this supremely glorious weekend!

Oooh, NZ playing Portugal!  Must go!  Those blankets are calling me!

Nah, it's not the same as being there, is it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Heeeyyyy Baby" is BA-ACK!!! Americano can SUCK IT!!!!!