Monday, March 28, 2011

The Liz Mystery!

I meant to post this last week, but got all kinda caught up in ... you know!

Front page news in all the Chinese newspapers.

I was astonished. I mean, front page news??  Lead story? Huh? And it seems that happened right across Mainland China too! 
 
I was so gobsmacked, I asked several Mainlanders "Why does China care?" and the reply was "She was the only Western woman we ever saw during the Cultural Revolution!" and "She was the only glamorous woman I ever saw during the Cultural Revolution!" and other comments of that ilk.

But the upshot, as far as I can see, is that Elizabeth Taylor was the only face of Western Women seen China for nearly 40 years!  
 
I'm fine with that, but still ... isn't it ODD!!!  Like, why her?  All those marriages pointing to decadence and unhappiness in the Western World?  A moral lesson to China in what to avoid at all costs?

However, if she were meant to be a moral lesson it certainly didn't work because those folks I talked to all thought she was so beautiful and so glamorous and just right in every way!

Bet Liz never knew that about herself!  That she was loved and admired all across Mainland China and, moreso, was the very symbol of Western Women and epitome of Western Glamour in the lives of billions of souls in that part of the world who were, back then, not really allowed to have much of that at all!

No comments: