Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sally Designs!

Have to tell you!  At the Indra Centre in Pratunam, Bangkok, while "on the sleuth" and supposedly working, I came across a stall with the most incredible clothes.

Unlike just about everything else in Bangkok, where they most normally 'go the glitz' BIGTIME ...

 Regular 'glitz' at an Indra Centre stall!

... but irresistible glitz because look what I bought in there:

Hand-beaded by villagers 
in the mountains,
and only A$15.00!

... in this particular stall everything was very plain, almost Kenzo in the severity of structure, and in very simple colours, but made amazing because the designer had a really good eye, the most incredible aesthetic, and clearly was the real deal, very strong and individual. Excellent tailoring too.  AND, although she was incredible at cutting with the fabric, she also was amazing at selecting those fabrics because all the clothes in her stall had this amazing drape. 

So yes, despite my solemn oath to STOP SHOPPING ...

Coming out of the Indra Centre.
Sally's designs are down under that load.

... I swooped in and immediately brought three pieces and wished I hadn't already spent so much so I could buy more. 

You know, don't you, that I support young HK fashion designers!  Regularly I track down the work of young 'breaking out' kiddies I find exceptionally talented and buy their stuff but most usually to give to the kids because ... well, to be honest, I'm too old for most of it:
Talei in an outfit by a HK 'breakout' 
designer I admire,
as Ching, another talented artist,
paints in the background!

But at the stall in Pratunam, going through the racks of all the stuff I wasn't going to buy but wished I was,  I asked about the designer and turned out she was a little girl called Sally who was just starting out but who had big but not unreasonable plans for her future.

And as we were chatting about Sally, a large Italian man walking past gave a loud cry and swooped too on Sally's clothes"Where can I get this?  Where can I get this?" he cried out to the shop girls.

"You wish to meet the designer?"  a shop girl asked.  (Mmmm, how come I didn't get that offer?)

"Fug the designer!" he said loudly.  "Where can I buy this fabric?"

Instantly, everyone's English vanished and they couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Frustrated, and after a great many "Fug yous!", this Ugly Italian left and that's when I asked if I too could meet the designer!

Yes, I could! Turns out Sally was in the building!  She was doing deals with an Indian chap several stalls away, who wanted her to design more clothes for him, but in his own aesthetic:  more colour, more glitz, more more more ...

So here's Sally in person ...

What a darling!

... with the designs she's doing for the Indian fellow down the way.  But look at her top!  See the drape? That's one of hers done in her own aesthetic.

Anyway, I told her what I usually tell those young HK designers I support:  that they are exceptionally talented and that I wish them the very best future possible and to stick with it. I also told her that I was sorry I couldn't get more of her pieces, but she said I could because she also sold on-line under the name Sally Designs.  And let me see if I can find it for you!

No, I can't.  There's a Sally T. designs, but that's based in Houston Texas so I doubt it's her. Looks like I'll have to find her business card afterall.

In the meantime however, you can always find her amazing clothes in the Indra Centre in Pratunam, Bangkok.  Yes, the place that was burned down during the recent riots but which now rebuilt and up-and-running, just like before only cleaner and newer! 

No comments: