Friday, December 12, 2008

Another Day in Dafen!

Dashed up to Dafen today to pick up the commissioned paintings and, this time without some sneaky slimebucket having stolen my 8. memory card, was able to wander far and wide taking photos.

But what can I show you that I haven't before? Let me see!

OK, I found this one hilarious.
You editor-types may not!

Dropped by several times to see if I could find you the name and contact details of the original artist I like so much, only he was out all day. But you will notice the new seat out the front, so he's obviously adopting a more casual approach to life. AND notice the enormous canvas that was delivered around midday. Looks like this very ambitious fellow is about to attempt a masterpiece ... and so soon after his baby's arrival too! Can't you just tell he's a MALE artist!

"The Artist has left the building!"

Also tracked down the NEW Danhuang Tribute Artist. This is the guy who painted Molly's "half-quality/half-price" Lakhsmi.

The NEW "not-so-good" one,
sure, but a total honey!

Give him time!

I went looking for him because, well, I'm me and simply can't bear not knowing stuff and because I thought it would be a fun challenge to find somebody specific in a place where no one spoke your language. As you can see, I succeeded! And you'll notice he subtly posed beside the number where he can be reached personally and not through Jin, but Jin is such a sweetheart you have to deal through him!

Art Dealer, Chen Jin
of
Guang Yuan Art Shop
kingkong88@21cn.com


I also discovered how you break in a new "tribute artist". Here's an artist supervising two young artists as they learn to copy a particular style:

"No one goes home until
you've done it perfectly 100 times!"


And here's a photo of a Tribute Artist who does it with a twist! I've been a fan for a long time. She copies European and Chinese Masterpieces, only in truly interesting ways; in unexpected mediums or using different and surprising techniques or with a different focus. I really love her stuff even though, well, she's much more expensive than the regular Tribute Artists. But these paintings are truly worth it. Really astonishing pieces, really astonishing artist and a really astonishing lady. Owns her own gallery too. And notice her truly beautiful hands!

Notice the pose next
to
the contact address.

And while on the subject of "slightly bent" art, I've discovered a gallery that will do you "slightly bent" portraits. Double-click on the photo below and check out what the artist has done with the photographs. Interesting, huh! As you know, I've found all the portraits I've had done in Dafen to be very well done, sure, but "kinda too vanilla". It's like they should be on the cover of some fundamental christian magazine; like, have "Awake" in a banner at the top and alongside "Reverend John Presser talks about his AIDS Mission in Kampala.". It's an interesting genre, definitely, but for my "slightly-bent" taste I'd prefer ... well, just about anything:

Contact details only a double-click away!

And here's another artist/gallery owner touching up the size on her newly arrived frames. She was willing to sell one to me for 200 yuan which is only about US$30.00, which is amazing considering they're wood and plaster, and I sooo would have bought it only, well, I simply couldn't carry it.

Love what she's wearing!
When I grow up I want to be her!


And I also discovered that the Tribute Artists are honestly proud of the work they do. Look at this guy. He's just finished a piece and his friend is photographing it for his records, and already the other artists are dropping by to critique:

"Like the way you've done the ..."

And when he saw me photographing him being photographed, he posed for me too.

The Godfather.
Sorry there are no contact details.

And this darling dude below is telling me to be careful not to step on his painting. The other artists are helping him roll it up for postage. Somebody somewhere is in for a treat!

"Hey, careful of my Masterpiece!"

And here's an artist of a different kind. Gosh, this was true Performance Art. Took him about seven seconds to turn a hunk of dough into noodles; just threw the wad into the air several times and voila!
Perfect dinner!

Oh yes, remember how I told you that Dafenites have begun buying books. Was interested to see the type of things they'd want to buy, so here's some on sale. Lots of art books, you notice, and on some really interesting artists too:
Wanted to buy so many,
but
simply couldn't because
I had a mess of paintings to also lug around.

And here's something that's just happened recently: a new enormous mural on a wall. It's at the end of an alley and it's so like a surprise gift it's just perfect. I LOVE that someone would do that!

The Lovers!

And another update, and I do hope it's nothing I said ... but you know that plinth I dislike so much? The new one for Leonardo de Vinci in the Square? Well, someone went for it with a sledgehammer and so they're in the process of giving it a protective fence ... only you don't leave for lunch when there are so many Dafen Artist-Kiddies around:

An artist in the making!


And while we're on the subject of Dafen Kids, let me give you a little sample:

THE KIDS OF DAFEN

Helping dad wrap his art for postage:


OK, she may have a mean streak - and this one sooo deserves a double-click - but you gotta love that hair:


Who'd have known that a piece of wadding could have kept a kid happily playing for hours:

"And what did Santa bring
YOU for Christmas!"


And how cool is this little dude!

Loving it?

Will go through the rest of my new photos tomorrow and see what else I can show you.

And are you loving Dafen as much as I do?

No comments: