Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Photo for Richard - "The Scaffolders"

When Richard was in HK earlier this year, he got all fascinated by HK's scaffolding. I'm sure his entire film footage was taken up with shots of the stuff. (Riveting film, right?) Anyway, because he was so interested I told him what I knew: how scaffolding in HK was always put up by a single family who owned the monopoly.

And I added at the time it was as though they'd been bred for generations to do just that because they were all so lithe and agile and looked like acrobats. Remember? And was speculating on how many generations it would take to breed someone to do a particular job, or if it was just that a particular type of person with a particular range of skills found a job they were spectacularly good at, and then kept doing it for generations.

Anyway, Richard said he wanted to see the family in action and, well, it isn't something you can just magic up - although maybe the Hong Kong Tourist Board would look into it - and so he didn't get to see the dudes.

But Lockhart Road is currently doing a lot of renovating and we're seeing a lot of this family.

This is a shot I took for Richard:

The Scaffolder Family
in action!

Yes, I know, it's just of them unloading, but I was so impressed. You should have seen it, Richard! That guy held that position without a second's swaying for the entire download. These guys really rock!!

And, yes, Richard, I know I promised to do an entire post on scaffolding just for you ... but will this suffice?

No comments: