Friday, December 12, 2008

The Great Warhol of China!

"Warhol-ing" is a great honour in China. There are so few stars who join the Pantheon that to become a Chinese Warhol-ed Icon is possibly one of the greatest honours you can ever receive.

It means you have instant recognition in a land of two billion who all call you by your first name and who love you dearly and think you represent something huge and symbolic and meaningful i their lives.

And I noticed that, in the last two weeks, a new Warhol Icon has appeared among the Chosen Few. You will never guess who it is ...

And while you're guessing, let me show you The Usual Suspects; those that the Chinese have been Warhol-ing for years:


ELVIS AND MARILYN


MAO AND DIANA


BRUCE, RINGO AND PAUL


JOHN AND GEORGE


John in particular is Warhol-ed a lot! And also Buddha-ed! And also included in a lot of original paintings as a symbol of ... gosh, who knows! Inscrutable, indeed!

CHARLIE AND DENG


FRANK AND AUDREY


AUDREY AND MARILYN

And their all-time favourite:

AUDREY, AUDREY, AUDREY AND AUDREY


Gosh, does China ever love Audrey. Every woman you meet wants to "look like Audrey". She's like China's all-time Icon of Purity and Symbol of Elegance!

However, like I said, there's someone brand new who's only just entered the pantheon of Truely Iconic Figures of China. She's only just started appearing everyplace, although not yet a challenge to Audrey! However, I don't think anyone will ever be!

Can you spot her in here among the others:


Got her? Yup, it's Angelina Jolie! Wait, that should be in capitals and a single name only:

ANGELINA!!!

Actually, this artist/gallery owner is my favourite Warhol-er! Her work is remarkable, yet she only charges 120 yuan for most paintings. That's about US$26.00. However, that Marilyn on the floor behind her is special - she thinks so and I agree - so it's 160 yuan!

Sorry I don't have her contact details in this shot, but I think this is "Lingtaimeixinyishuyouhua Gallery" and her website is www.s ... sorry ... can't read her writing! But I think her e-mail is mjl6786@163.com although, you know, I may be wrong! Honestly, fabulous painter = atrocious writer! In English that is; her calligraphy is probably amazing!

I plan to rock in there one day and buy several thousand yuans-worth so ... you know, don't pre-empt me! However, I'll let you buy one or two so do feel free to get in touch with her! Dafen is an honest place and even overseas and dealing through e-mails you will receive what you pay for. And if you don't, which I doubt, just give me the details and I'll go up and yell at the appropriate people for you! Any excuse to rock up to the town!

No comments: