Friday, May 15, 2009

Food Blog

Keith, my husband of way too many years, is a big foodie. Me, not so much! (And people who know me will know why that's so funny!) Anyway, Keith is currently getting a big kick out of this blog:

?/div>

Me, not so much! Not because it isn't a fabulous blog but because I'm not so into food that I want to read about it. Although ...

... have you ever read a review of a dish while you're eating it? I have and I must tell you it is a completely bizarre experience. It happened in Luang Prabang, at Ruth's fabulous restaurant,

Tamnak Lao.

I ordered one of the fish dishes and the waiter got very excited. I discovered why when he brought me the food AND a laminated copy of the review of that very dish written by one of the world's top food critics. I read it as I was eating and, 100%, there is something vastly discordant and unsettling about reading the exact words - and I mean the EXACT WORDS - for what is happening in your mouth. The piece was written as a musical metaphor and it was all "the tang of the Vietnamese lime sets up a call that is precisely answered by the warm fullness of the coconut milk" and I'm reading it aloud and going "Yes, yes, yes! It does have a call and, yes, the call is being answered. Precisely. Yes, he's exactly right." and so it went on, and, reading, eating, acknowledging, I even started to taste the dish exactly as he did, like it was an entire song happening in my mouth.

Being able to describe something so precisely? To have the words! To be able to attach them so precisely to an experience! What a gift that man has! Me? I would have just said "Mmmm, this is so yummy!"

Mind you, we both would be right!


No comments: